Friday, December 19, 2008

Abysmal...

Yes...that's the word that sums it up...abysmal. That is how I would describe my recent luck in the kitchen! I've been pressed for time (as we all are this time of year), so I've gotten a little absent minded while cooking. I have burned more stuff in the last week than I have burned all year!!! But the bad luck goes far beyond that. Last night I made a loaf of beer bread. I've made beer bread about 5 times in my life and every time it's been flawless (I mean, come on, even the most unskilled cooks can pour a can of beer into a mix and then put it in the oven!!) But I decided to follow the "Optional Recipes" on the side of the box. I added sparkling cider instead of beer, a chopped apple, cinnamon and pecans to it. It was the strangest tasting loaf of beer bread ever. It kinda tasted rancid. At 1st I thought it was the pecans that ruined it, but now I am certain that it was the cider.

Oh, and then today I needed to blend a soup and the soup shot up out of the tiny vent hole in the blender lid. BTW, in case you were wondering, that little tiny hole that is the size of the tip of a pencil can release enough liquid to cause this frazzled cook to clean up for about 10 minutes! And just to add insult to injury the cooking gods decided to get a good laugh at my expense and make the soup way too peppery to fully enjoy!

Ugggg. But on a wonderfully exciting note, I found a really great blog called Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes. Since I am following Weight Watchers (I say that with a crooked smile since my fingers are still sticky from the rice crispy treat I just ate!!!) I love finding flavorful and interesting recipes that still stay true to my weight loss plan of choice!

BTW, the soup recipe that shot up through the blender hole today was the Cauliflower Soup recipe from Gina's website. I'll definitely make it again, I'll just tone down the pepper! Tonight I am making the Turkey Stuffed Peppers recipe for dinner...wish me better luck!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOL, don't you hate when that happens! Enjoy your stuffed peppers, let me know how you like them :)