Thursday, December 11, 2008

I'm still here!

OK, it's been a while since I posted. Lots going on I guess. Anyways, I do have some updates: I successfully completed my challenge of not eating out for an entire week. In fact, I was so successful I decided to extend it. I made it 10 days without eating anything besides food prepared at home! Yey!

On to more great news, I had a revelation...remember how I said that I would love to be a cook like my friend Chrystal where she is able to totally throw things together without following a recipe and they turn out delicious every time? Well, it occurred to me that if that's the type of cook I want to be, then I certainly won't get there by trying to follow a bunch of recipes from various websites and cookbooks. I should learn the fundamentals of cooking so that I can have the confidence to open my fridge and create a wonderful meal without a recipe at all. I did a little searching and I found two great books. The first is called How to Cook Without a Book by Pam Anderson (no, not Baywatch Pam Anderson!) and the second is called The Improvisational Cook by Sally Schneider. They are EXACTLY what I need. They go over the fundamentals of cooking, what flavors go well together, and the essential ingredients that every great cook should have on hand at all times. There is also a plethora of recipes in these books. Check these out for yourself when you get a chance...here are the links:

No comments: